Monday, July 16, 2012

A picture says a thousand words.

I really don’t know what it is…perhaps it’s just this time of year for me – but I find myself appreciating things more than I normally do.
I am SOAKING up every second I can with my sweet boys. I really can’t believe Gray is already so big and capable. And Gates, I am amazed at how smart he is and how independent he wants to be. I looked at him the other day and really had to rub my eyes and look again. It was as if he turned into a grown boy right before my eyes. It’s totally amazing. The things I love about him now are more rational….if that makes any sense at all. I love the way he thinks, talks, laughs, tries, wants, needs, etc. He is all boy. I love his fascination with trucks, cars, tools, and daddy. He is so much fun!

And with Gray, the things I love are so silly. He is so aware. Totally aware of who is around him, watching him, etc. He wants to be involved at all times. And if we look away, he screams. I am not kidding, y’all. He screams this ear-piercing scream. And sometimes, if it was appropriate, I would want to do the same when no one is paying attention to me. Ha! And he is always smiling. Even through his screams, there is this sweet smile that says “I know I’m cute, you have to love me.” He is a doll.

Cam and I are really trying to enforce the fact that Gates should play with Gray, because, right now, Gates doesn’t really want much to do with Gray. It makes me a bit sad but I keep telling myself, this is just a phase. I know there will be lots of fights, arguments, yelling, etc. But at the end of the day, I want them to be each other’s best friend. Like I have said before….there is no one on this earth like my sister. I have a handful of REALLY best friends….but my sister, well; she is the coolest of them all.

Speaking of…last weekend we went to the ranch for just a night. It is so hot that it makes the ranch not nearly as fun as it is in the cooler months. But Gates gets so excited to go, that we try to go every couple of months. The kid can’t handle how excited he gets … he LOVES it there. And to me, I just think about the memories we are making for him. I love it. So anyway – Aunt Trishy came for the night, too. It was so much fun to have her there. She got to play with Gates outside, they went on a hike, we went driving around, and did lots of ranch things. And she helped so much with Gray. That baby just loves her and is naturally drawn to her. And then, after the kids went down, she got to just relax with us. It was sweet – Trish told me that Cam told her “I really like when you are around because Katy is always so happy!” I love that he recognizes that and I really love that he told her that. It was a fun night!

This past weekend we didn’t do much, but we did have one really fun dinner. Saturday night we went to dinner with Cam’s parents and sis and brother in law. It was so casual and laid back but still so much fun! Frances is such a fun grandmother. The way she interacts with Gates is so perfect, sweet, and special. And Gray sat by Cam’s dad and pulled on his sleeve the entire dinner; just wanting granddad to look at him. It was hilarious. We all had a really nice time.

Sunday, my dad dropped by to say hello and to drop off some pictures from my childhood. When he moved from my childhood house (the only house I ever lived in) he packed everything without help from my sis & me. What a task – to pack a lifetime of memories of a family of 4, all by yourself. But, truth be told, my heart wouldn’t have been able to handle it. The pictures he dropped off brought such a smile to my face (and perhaps a tear to my eye). I had so many thoughts while looking through just a handful of them. Here are some thoughts I had:

1. We had so much fun, as kids.

2. We spent A LOT of time at the beach

3. We spent a lot of time with Doug & Joanie (my parents good friends)

4. Man, I have known Coco & Bree a LONG time

5. My mom was absolutely beautiful

6. My sister has always had such pretty hair – and she has always been so pretty. Even as a newborn….

7. I, on the other hand, was a funny looking baby. Ha ha

That’s all for now….Happy Monday…







No comments:

Post a Comment