Monday, June 6, 2011

Birthday Bash




Although it isn’t official until June 13 – we celebrated Gates’s 2nd birthday on Saturday with a small (yeah, right) party at the house, complete with bounce house, snow cone machine, hot dogs, cupcakes, presents, balloons, toys, family, friends, and so much fun.

Gates was an angel ALL. DAY. LONG. From when he woke up until bedtime, he never once threw a ‘terrible two’ fit. We have been talking about his birthday party for a couple of weeks leading up the event, trying to get him excited. And as the guests started arriving, I could tell he was in for a good time. His grandpa, sissy, aunt Lisa & Uncle Colby bought him his first tricycle (with all kinds of bells & whistles) and once it was assembled, you couldn’t pull him off of it. But the sweet boy did get off long enough to share it with some friends. I was proud.


Typically Gates is real cautious when it comes to those bounce house contraptions. We have been to many a party where I have to get in the bounce house with him and almost literally make him JUMP (this is a sight too. there was one party that had a bounce house obstacle course and I really got stuck in it. I thought I was going to have to send for help). But this go around – he was ALL about it. I have never seen him work up such a sweat and have so much fun with other kids. He was giggling nonstop.



What made the day most special for both me & Cameron was the amount of love surrounding our little boy that day. My sister drove in from Austin, we had aunts & uncles and friends that all came to celebrate Gates. And we are well aware that kids birthday parties are not top on the list of things people LOVE to do on their Saturday, but we still had a house full of people that wanted to celebrate Gates with us.

As I was driving to work today, I started chuckling thinking to myself that I MUST drive some people crazy with my constant positive attitude and extreme happiness and love for my family. Right? I mean, can someone please tell me to tone it down every once in a while? I even drive myself crazy when I spend time trying to find synonyms for the word blessed. But I always come back to blessed. Because to me, it is that simple.

But for those of you who just want to know that I have a bad day from time to time – it is true, I do. But even on those days, I try to remember that in the grand scheme of things – nothing is that bad to cause me to forget all the blessings in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I could not love that picture of the birthday boy at breakfast any more!! Sweet, sweet (almost) 2-year-old.

    ReplyDelete